Aston Lawyer
Aston Lawyer, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor LLB (Hons) 23 years of experience in Conveyancing and Property Law
16368554

We're being asked to exchange contracts with an unrepresented

We're being asked to exchange contracts with an unrepresented seller in a conveyancing transaction. What is the safest way of effecting exchange of the seller cannot attend personally?
Expert:  Aston Lawyer replied 2 years ago.
Hello and thanks for using Just Answer.
My name is ***** ***** am happy to assist you with your enquiry.
To be honest, the only safe way of exchanging Contracts in this scenario is by personal attendance both parties.
The only other option is to exchange contracts by post, whereby your Solicitor will send your signed copy of the contract to the seller. When this is received the seller’s signed copy of the contract will be sent to your Solicitor. Contracts are treated as having been exchanged when the seller’s contract is posted.
There is a risk with this method that the seller may fail to post his copy, meaning that there is no valid exchange, meaning that your Solicitor may be reluctant to adopt this approach.
I hope this assists and answers your question.
Kind Regards
AL