Aston Lawyer
Aston Lawyer, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor LLB (Hons) 23 years of experience in Conveyancing and Property Law
16368554

Is a solicitor legally obliged to answer another solicitor's

Is a solicitor legally obliged to answer another solicitor's letter?
Expert:  Aston Lawyer replied 2 years ago.
Hello and thanks for using Just Answer.
My name is ***** ***** am happy to assist you with your enquiry.
Could you please confirm in what context you are referring? What type of legal issue is involved?
I look forward to hearing from you.
Kind Regards
AL
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

My solicitor has written to the solicitor of a former tenant of mine who has left the flat she rented from me without paying rent. Her solicitor had previously written to me and my solicitor was sending a request for rent to the tenants solicitor. This was in December 2014. My solicitor has now told me that she has received no response and I would like to know whether there is an obligation on my tenants solicitor to reply to my solicitor under a legal code of practice?

Thanks for your reply.
The Solicitor has not broken any Solicitors rules in not replying.
Under our Code of conduct, Solicitors should reply to correspondence from another Solicitor in a reasonable amount of time IF our client instructs us to correspond.
If a client instructs us not to reply to correspondence, then we should not correspond.
Likewise, if we are without instructions from a client, we are unable to answer letters from other Solicitors, although it is good practice to notify the other Solicitor that we are without instructions.
I am therefore guessing that the Solicitor is perhaps without instructions from the former Tenant or the Tenant has told the Solicitor that he is not wiling to pay for any further letters etc.
Your Solicitor should therefore perhaps write one more letter to the other Solicitor, saying that unless she receives a reply in 7 days, she will take it that the other Solicitor is no longer instructed in the matter, and she will then need to correspond directly with your former Tenant.
I hope this assists and answers your question.
Kind Regards
AL