75100385

, I'm looking advice regarding a tenants rights

Customer Question

Hi, I'm looking for some advice regarding a tenants rights after the landlord (home owner) dies, when there is no tenancy agreement. The homeowners will States that the house is to be sold, the tenant is living at the home and is also a included in the will. Does he have the right to refuse to leave the home in order for it to be sold?
Alex Watts :

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.

Alex Watts :

For now please let me know whether there EVER was a tenancy agreement?

Alex Watts :

Is rent still being paid?

JACUSTOMER-nnhx8mrk- : There has never been a tenancy agreement, he is a family member and lived in a flat that is built on to the main house, only ever paying council tax and a coin electric meter, contributing towards the electric bill for the last 17 years
Alex Watts : Ok, it's bad news I am afraid.
Alex Watts : Even if there was a tenancy agreement it would come to an end when the person dies.
Alex Watts : That means you have no right to remain
Alex Watts : It is only where there is a council tenancy do you have a right to succeed
Alex Watts : But for a private tenancy you don't sadly.
Alex Watts : However you are entitled to 2 months notice.
Alex Watts : But sadly even if there was a tenancy agreement you would still only be entitled to 2 months notice.
Alex Watts : Any tenancy agreement ends on death.
Alex Watts : I am sorry if this is not the answer you are looking for and certainly not the one I want to give you.
Alex Watts : Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?