Alex J.
Alex J., Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitors 2 years plus PQE
13113900

I argued with my boss last month & she threatened to 'ask me

I argued with my boss last month & she threatened to 'ask me to look for another job'. When she repeated it, I told her not to worry, I'd look myself. A couple of days later her partner gave me a letter stating that they would pay me until the end of January to give me time to find other employment. I requested an extra month as a more realistic timeline & was told to put this in writing which I did. Both bosses have been on holiday since the beginning of January & I've had no response. Can they make me leave? I've had no official warning or reason to be dismissed & so far no new job. Please help!
Expert:  Alex J. replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your question and welcome.
My name is ***** ***** I will assist you.
Does your contract have a notice period in it?
How long have you been employed by them?
AJ
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I months notice & I've worked here for 2 years & 11 months

Expert:  Alex J. replied 2 years ago.
Really the issue comes down to reasonableness, was it reasonable for your boss to either:
1. Give you notice for no reasons;
2. Accept the fact that you said "you would look yourself" as notice?
The answer to these questions is probably not.
The bot***** *****ne is it sounds like they have dismissed you without any good reason or following any process. While you cannot force them to employ you, you may have employment claims for both unfair and wrongful dismissal (potentially constructive dismissal as well). https://www.gov.uk/dismiss-staff/overview
I am afraid that your only options are to explain that it was clear that you had never given notice and see if they will continue to employ you, if they do not you will have to make a claim in the employment tribunal.
Have you ever been subject to any disciplinary proceedings?
AJ
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I have never been subject to any disciplinary proceedings & I wasn't actually given notice. The letter just said 'we will pay you until the end of the month', nothing else!

Expert:  Alex J. replied 2 years ago.
Then you need them to confirm in writing what their intentions are.
You have to accept you cannot force them to employ, but if they have terminated your employment wrongfully and/or unfairly (which it seems they might have) you are entitled to bring an employment claim against them.
When are you expecting them to return?
AJ
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I believe they'll be back early next week

Expert:  Alex J. replied 2 years ago.
I think you need schedule a meeting with them. Take a colleague to the meeting as a witness and discuss whether it was actually intended that the notice be given. From your perspective you must deny that you ever gave notice. If they are adamant that you must leave, then you will have to either let it go or consider a tribunal claim.
AJ