12826847

I bought a van from a trader in February 2014 & have had to

I bought a van from a trader in February 2014 & have had to keep taking it to a garage with problem after problem ... I paid £14:500 for it & in less than 12 months have repeatedly had to have work carried out & have so far paid around another £3000 getting these problems fixed . Is there anything I can do .
how many times have you taken it back with the same fault?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
It's always been a different fault
Ok.
how many repairs?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Firstly a gearbox fault , then a door fault then a braking fault & now ... Well I'm waiting for the garages prognoses & mean while I have to hire another van whilst mine is off the road so you can see that it's costing more & more ..
I presume they are repairing this at their own cost?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No all at my expense
That does seem unreasonable.
Realistically, this is a second hand purchase so it is not likely that it could reject it outright at this stage.
However, you didn't pay a rock bottom price for it and one would reasonably expect it not to have developed faults so quickly.
Faults that develop within the first six months of sale are automatically presumed to have existed at the time of sale unless the merchant can prove otherwise. Thereafter is it for you to prove that the faults or their propensity existed.
Given the price of the repairs, a court probably would accept that they should be covering the cost or repairing them.
If they do refuse then you can always complain to trading standards.