Alex J.
Alex J., Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitors 2 years plus PQE
13113900

Good morning. Im a US citizen who is 50% owner/director of

Customer Question

Good morning. Im a US citizen who is 50% owner/director of UK event tech company. Im also the sole owner of a very profitable S-Corporation in Los Angeles. Our core competencies are deploying secure Cisco IP wired and wireless networks for large scale tech, event and sporting companies: Google, Salesforce.com, Cisco, NBA, Coachella, The Open Championship... I'm looking to help grow the EMEA market with my 50% share in the UK LTD company but I do not understand the law here and what rights I possess as foreign business owner. In a nut shell Im looking for good representation either in Edinburgh or London given those are springboards for entry into UK for the golf gigs we execute. Can you help with some recommendations? Im in Edinburgh tomorrow and London all day Friday. Thank you Jeff
Expert:  Alex J. replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your question and welcome.
My name is ***** ***** I will assist you.
Essentially a persons nationality will not effect their rights as either a director or shareholder of a limited company incorporated in England. You just need to make sure that the constitution of the company (i.e the articles of association) is sophisticated enough to ensure that you can receive official company notices by email and allow meetings to be conducted by other electronic means (e.g telephone and video conferencing). The articles should also allow resolutions to be passed by written resolution so you do not have to attend a physical meeting of the shareholders every time once is called.
If you are looking for a UK solicitor to accept service of documents on your behalf and/or advise you - what you need to do is contact the Law Society www.lawsociety.org.uk - this is effectively the professional union for English solicitors. You need to ask them to recommend a solicitor with company law and business affairs experience. We cannot recommend law firms on this site.
As I am a company law expert I can assist you with more general inquiries about company law if you wish?
AJ