Aston Lawyer
Aston Lawyer, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor LLB (Hons) 23 years of experience in Conveyancing and Property Law
16368554

My elderly Dad has to go into a home and I have to sell his

Customer Question

My elderly Dad has to go into a home and I have to sell his home to help fund his care. Some years ago he put the house up for equity release and now as I understand it the bank owns two thirds of the house which has to be paid to them on the sale. The house is in a bad state of decoration and repair and we need to spend money on it to put it right, are we able to take what we spent on it from the sale before we declare to the Council what we have left to fund Dad's care?
Expert:  Aston Lawyer replied 2 years ago.
Hello and thanks for using Just Answer.
My name is ***** ***** am happy to assist you with your enquiry.
Does your Dad have sufficient savings of his own to pay for the repairs?
Do you or another next of kin have Power of Attorney for your Dad?
I look forward to hearing from you.
AL
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you for your reply, no Dad does not have any savings in fact he has a further debt of £13k which has to be paid when he passes on or we sell the house. Yes I have Power if Attorney.

Anne

Hi Anne,
Thanks for your reply.
Well, as you have Power of Attorney, provided you retain all the receipts for the necessary works, you will be able to deduct these amounts from your Dad's entitlement of the proceeds of Sale.
I hope this assists.
Please let me know if you require any further clarification.
Kind Regards
AL
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you very much for your help, I will of course come back if I need more clarification.

Anne

Thanks Anne.
In the meantime, if you are happy with my Answers, I would be grateful if you could leave positive feedback.
Kind Regards
AL