How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 34276
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practice since 1985 with a wide general experience.
Type Your Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

I am divorced my kids 11 and nearly 16 live with mum. I see

Resolved Question:

I am divorced my kids 11 and nearly 16 live with mum. I see the kids regular . I pay child maintenance regular. When married i observed my wife be violent to kids. My daughter 15 reports that thhis is happening and that the relationship is bad with mum. I have confronted her and said I wont put up with violence to her. I suggested they get mediation to hhelp rebuild their relationship. I said that if happens again i would call police and or social services
What are my rights...
It would be difficult to look after the kids 100 percent as I have a high powered jon and can be abroad weeks maybe 4 times a years
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Clare replied 2 years ago.

Thank you question.

I will do my best to help you but I need some further information first.
What is the extent of the violence?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

slaps hair pulling, pushing and shooving. like all 16 year old girls she is a handful but when I receive a text saying she cant stand it any more it worries.

i have suggested that they re build relationship with mediation but i think although my ex agreed to that on phone she told daughter that I was beig a cheek to suggest it

Expert:  Clare replied 2 years ago.

Is there no way that you could manage the full time care of the children?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

It would be incredibly difficult. I do have to be away forwork a lot and I cannot afford a nanny.

I commute an hour each way. I leave at 730 am and back at 7pm. With the dance classes and lifts etc I would need serious help from someone. It really would be too much. I am not ready to retire. Only 52 and I love my job and need my reasonably large salary.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

this would be very difficult. Working hours and abroad business trips

Expert:  Clare replied 2 years ago.

The problem is that if you are not wishing to take over there full time care there is a limit to the options available to you
You can indeed phone Social Services regarding the abuse - but given that you know that your daughter is indeed being abused then either you will need to take over or accept that the children will go into care
I am sorry I know that this is hard to accept - but that is the stark choice that is available to you
The only other possible option is to arrange counselling - all four of you - so that these issues can be discussed - with the threat of Social Services to convince your ex to agree
Please ask if you need further details
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

What is family counselling. Is that through social services or is there somewhere seperate to go.

If I did accept full time there help (through social services) when I am away on business or is it all down to me.

Thank you...

Expert:  Clare replied 2 years ago.

It is something you will need to source although Social Services may well have a list of suitable Counsellors.
I am afraid you will be responsible arrangements care of the children while you are away
Clare and other Law Specialists are ready to help you