12826847

Temporary traffic lights have been erected repairs

Customer Question

Temporary traffic lights have been erected repairs in our local village, Curry Rivel on the A378. Four way traffic lights with just access lanes of traffic. On one side of the traffic lights, approximately 50 metres from the traffic lights there is a road works sign, traffic light sign and they are followed by a line of bollards. Is it lawful to park a car on the road, in between the signs and the traffic lights? The car was parked very near to the signs, was black in colour and not clearly visible. It was early morning, poor light and unfortunately due to traffic flow and the headlights of the traffic coming towards me I did not see the parked car and hit the back of one side of the car.
.
Thank you question. My name is ***** ***** I will try to help with this.
What would you like to know about this please?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Is this parking legal inbetween the signs and has the parking of this vehicle contributed to the cause of the accident - I consider it should not have been parked there in the first place but please advise.

Well, that may be right. It depends on the prohibitions at the location in question.
However, I am sorry but either way, if you hit a stationary vehicle then you are still wholly responsible accident. Even if the parking was such as to amount to the offence of dangerous parking, if that vehicle was stationary and it was struck by a moving vehicle then the moving vehicle is the cause of the accident and the driver is liable or his insurer on his behalf. There is no real room over that I'm afraid.
I am very sorry but I have to give you truthful information.
Can I clarify anything ?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Many thanks and that is much appreciated.

Bridget

No problem.
All the best.