75100385

there, In august of 2013 I let a couple move in with

there,
In august of 2013 I let a couple move in with me and said I would pay rent and bills in exchange helping me around the house due to my physical disability. This informal agreement was put into writing over an email, although it could have been made much more specific.
First the first year everything was mostly fine but then in Sept 2014 they both stopped helping me and suddenly took jobs which made them unavailable during the times which were agreed upon in the original email. When I called them out of this and showed them the original email they claimed they knew nothing about it, that I wasn't considering their needs, and I was being unreasonable.
They left me in the lurch mid December with no help and no warning.
What I'm wondering is, since they lived here months not upholding their end of the contract while I still had to pay about £4,500 rent and bills, do I have any legal recourse? I normally would let things go, but they are still making my life hell and threatening legal action against me necklace which was most likely stolen by our cleaner (whom I hired). I had about 15 friends come to me during those two months and claim that the flat mates were in violation of our agreement and "neglecting" my needs after they witnessed the deterioration of the conditions I was living in. It was a pretty visible case of neglect sadly and well documented.
Alex Watts : my name is ***** ***** I will help you with This.
Alex Watts : please let me know where they are living now and is it that with you?
Customer:

not with me no

Customer:

I have no idea where they are living but they left 12 dec 2014

Alex Watts :

Sadly how would you be able to issue proceedings without knowing where they are? Do they have any assets?

Customer:

oh i can find that out. Just haven't bothered. And I know where they work. Also they've been threatening me via email

Customer:

They also have assets, yes

Alex Watts : You need to write and set out your losses and request a refund within 14 days or say you will go to Court within 14 days. You should make sure you send this signed delivery and keep a copy
Alex Watts : If they do not refund you then you can issue proceedings in the County Court. You can either do this online at: www.moneyclaim.gov.uk or by completing form N1 http://hmctsformfinder.justice.gov.uk/courtfinder/forms/n001-eng.pdf and take it to your local County Court.
Alex Watts : The Court will then issue a claim which a copy will be sent to the Defendant who will have a limited time to defend it, if not you can enter Judgment and enforce.
Alex Watts : If the claim is for £10,000 or less it will be a small claim so you will not need legal representation. Over this value you would need representation
Alex Watts : Can I clarify anything about this today please?
Customer:

sorry within 14 days of what?

Alex Watts :

14 days of the date of your letter.

Alex Watts :

Does that help?

Customer:

sorry, what letter?

Alex Watts :

Did you read my above advice? 14 days of sending a letter before action

Customer:

yes, i want to be clear is all. so it doesn't matter when I write the letter, but I have to give them 14 days to pay before going to court?

Alex Watts :

No, thats correct. You have 6 years to bring a claim

Customer:

and just to check one more time, emails count at contracts?

Alex Watts :

Yes they do.