75100385

I am challenging a bill produced by a firm of solicitors and

Customer Question

I am challenging a bill produced by a firm of solicitors and submitted a complaint to the Legal Ombudsman. The solicitors applied but agreed to wait outcome of the decision of the Ombudsman before proceeding therefore I did not file a defence. I subsequently went to New Zealand weeks during which time the Legal Ombudsman were requesting additional information. I advised that I was in New Zealand and could not access this until my return. I returned to the UK this week to find that the firm had gone ahead and gained a judgement against me. The date on the Judgement is 12th January. Am I able to set this aside? i have looked at the form that I think may need to be filled in but it doesnt make sense to me with no legal background. I am also worried that I maybe out of time in which case what can I do?
Alex Watts : my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.
Alex Watts : Did the solicitors confirm in writing they would wait?
JACUSTOMER-de9829nm- :

Yes they did

JACUSTOMER-de9829nm- :

Alex I have been having problems with the system hence the delay in responding if you are going to be offline I will need someone else to respond as the matter is urgent

Alex Watts : Ok. You can apply to set aside. Ask the other side if they agree first. If they do it can be done by consent and the cost is just £50
Alex Watts : If they won't agree then you need to apply at a hearing and the cost is £155
Alex Watts : You need to attach the written confirmation that they would agree not to enter judgment
Alex Watts : But you can set aside.
Alex Watts : Can I clarify anything about this today please?
JACUSTOMER-de9829nm- :

Yes please is there a time limit?

JACUSTOMER-de9829nm- :

Where do I apply and what forms do I fill in.

Alex Watts : No time limit but sooner rather than later.
Alex Watts : Its form N244 and you need to send it back to the court that gave judgment
Alex Watts : http://hmctsformfinder.justice.gov.uk/courtfinder/forms/n244-eng.pdf
Alex Watts : Does that help?
JACUSTOMER-de9829nm- :

Yes thank you very much Alex

Alex Watts : Can I clarify anything else ?
Alex Watts :

If this answers your question could I invite you rate my answer before you leave today.

If the system won’t let you please click reply.

Please bookmark my profile if you wish help: http://www.justanswer.co.uk/law/expert-alexwatts/