12826847

Dose a uk barrister have to be a uk resident

Customer Question

.
Thank you question. My name is ***** ***** I will try to help with this.
No. They are perfectly free to live abroad.
It would be impractical as they could not attend court but they are perfectly free to do so if they are wiling to commute.
Can I clarify anything ?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I understand that a barrister can live wherever he/she chooses but I was under the impression that the barrister, in order to practice in the UK must register his/her residency as the UK. Is this correct?

Thank you. You have left a negative rating but asked information which seems inconsistent. I will be happy to carry on with this if the negative rating was a mistake. I know thats easy to do as I’ve done it myself in other categories.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

No.
You are perfectly free to keep a main residency abroad and return . I suppose it is something only a person who was semi retired could do.
You are under a duty to ensure that your correct address is registered and keep them informed where you practice from. If it is not within chambers then there would be a need to complete sole tradership registration and the address of sole trading may well need to be within the UK. But most barristers don't practice in that way.