UKSolicitorJA
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
62162956

My partner ( not cohabiting) put money on my accounts.

Customer Question

My partner ( not cohabiting) put money on my accounts. He declared the amount as gifts. What is the legal implications? can he ask money back in future specially if we break up.
many thanks
Expert:  UKSolicitorJA replied 2 years ago.
,

A gift is not returnable by you whether or not you break up, unless you are willing to return the money back voluntarily.

If you are able to document the fact that he declared the money as gifts, you should do so so that there is no room later on whether or not it was a gift.

Hope this helps
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you . We are going to move to my new house. I bought it last year. I have been remodelling the house a year.

What do you think I should do to protect my self first from his EX and secondly if he is behaving unacceptable way. Which he done before.

I am communicating with a lawyer to draw a cohabitation agreement. is that enough?

F

His ex would not have any direct rights to your property and yes, a living together (cohabitaion) agreement is a good idea to have in place.

All the best
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you so much. any recommendation before we move together to do to protect myself in future?

We are not living together at the moment.

We are not moving together before April.

f

Until you start living together, there is nothing to worry about as what is yours will remain yours and what is his will remain his.

Howver, you should have both signed the living together agreement before you move in together.

All the best
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you so much.

He has not have any asset at all.

Do you recommend any close in the agreement will protect me? Or forms are the same. I have a lawyer and she is drafting the agreement.

this is helpful thank you

I would let your lawyer draft the agreement and advise you.
All the best