29905560

Are private health clubs legally obliged to provide car parking

Are private health clubs legally obliged to provide car parking bays disabled?
Ben Jones :

, my name is ***** ***** it is my pleasure to assist you with your question today. Are there actually any parking spaces attached to the club?

Customer:

Yes there are parking spaces at the club.

Ben Jones :

are they members or the staff?

Customer:

Ben Jones :

The club will be subject to certain regulations under the Equality Act 2010, which deals with discrimination against certain protected characteristics, such as disability. However, there is no statutory requirement to make provision certain number of disabled parking spaces and whether such a requirement arises will manly depend on the circumstances of the specific location and other facilities available.

The club would be expected to make reasonable adjustments if any of its members are disadvantaged by something because of their disability, and it’s reasonable to make the changes to avoid the disadvantage.

if parking spaces are limited and there are no other spaces nearby that disabled people could use it may be reasonable to expect the club to designate a few of the normal spaces users. However, if the spaces would not provide disabled members with any benefits, let’s say that access was an issue from there anyway, then it would not be reasonable to expect the club to provide nominated disabled parking spaces.

Ben Jones :

Hope this clarifies your position? If you could please let me know that would be great, thank you

Customer:

Thanks Ben

Ben Jones :

you are welcome