Aston Lawyer
Aston Lawyer, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor LLB (Hons) 23 years of experience in Conveyancing and Property Law
16368554

just sold my house and the new owners are asking

just sold my house and the new owners are asking money back and return of the property to myself due to the land flooded . The property has never flooded before which i answered by saying no on the property form, they have said they are awaiting witness statements which will be forwarded to me.
how do i stand on this mater.
Expert:  Aston Lawyer replied 2 years ago.

and thanks Just Answer.

My name is ***** ***** am happy to assist you with your enquiry.

Could you please just clarify what the Buyers are arguing- are they saying that your property has flooded sometime during your time of ownership?

I take it that you completed the Property Information Form and answered that the property had not ever been the subject of any flooding?

I look forward to hearing from you.

Kind Regards

AL

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Al

Yes they are saying that my property and neighboring property have flooded ,My property has not all the time i have owned it 7years but has flooded twice since they purchased it on 6th January this year

And yes i have answered that the property has never flooded

Philip,

Thanks reply.

Well, you have absolutely nothing to worry about!

All a Selller is under a duty to do is to answer the questions on Property Information Form correctly, which you did.

A Buyer, via their Solictor, is under a duty to carry out their own investigations which they deem necessary, and any Solicitor worth their salt would have carried out an Environmental Search, and this would have flagged up any potential flooding affecting the area in which the property is located. If the Buyer did have such a search carried out, they should have made further investigations and satisfied themselves, before proceeding.

I am guessing that they are just feeling pretty angry at the moment, and are just trying to take it out on you, although, as I have said, you are not liable in any way unfortunate situation.

I hope this helps you and sets out the legal position.

Kind Regards

AL

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thanks that is exactly as i thought. i in fact left all the Environmental search papers at the house when i vacated it on th 6Th that i had when i bought it 7 Years ago.

Thanks peace of mind