12826847

we did on yesterday a tenancy agreement but when we go

Customer Question

we did on yesterday a tenancy agreement but when we go to the house it was dirty and they said they gonna paint and clean.we want to break the contract but they say they gonna do it now.we don't trust them and we want to break but they say they can't we have to pay rent till they find others tenants.thank you
.
Thank you question. My name is ***** ***** I will try to help with this.
Are you asking if you are liable?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I want to break the contract
It is not that simple I'm afraid.
If this is an AST then you are locked in.
You are not under an obligation to accept it in its current condition but if they do put this right and they do so quickly then you are under an obligation to pay rent until they find a replacement.
This will really come down to how quickly they act. Courts do accept that people have to live somewhere. If it takes them two weeks to put this in good order then that is too long realistically. If it is done by the weekend then probably that is likely to be considered sufficient.
There should obviously be a rent rebate days that you were not able to live there.
Unfortunately though, unless they take a long time over putting this right these are not grounds to break the contract without consequence.
Sorry but I can only give you truthful information.
Can I clarify anything ?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
But is no possibility to quite the contract because they betrayed and they didn't do want they said
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
,we did the tenancy agreement on 27.01 and the next dAy we said we want to break because they didn't paint and clean the house like we verbally agreed .they promise to do the work and we don't pay rent until is ready!today 29.01 they said to go to the office to cancel the contract because landlord doesn't want to do the work they transferet the deposit money but the 1 month rent saying is up to landlord if he wants to give.we gave the keys we didn't live 1 min in that house they can take 1 month rent?
Is he actually saying he will not do the work at all?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes
If he won't do the work at all and the property is genuinely in a poor state then he should refund you in full.
That is a disrepair issue.
Things do have to be fairly bad before you are entitled to just walk out though.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The letting agent canceled the contract and he transferred the deposit!and we have to wait the landlord to give us the money.they said the landlord is a difficult person and they want to stop to work with him as a result of this issue.
Yes, that is probably right. They arent going to want to work with him if he reneges upon promises.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
So if he doesn't agree to give the money what should we do next please?
If he doesn't then your only option to sue/ It is a small claim court sum so it will be cheap enough to do so.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok thank you very much!!
No problem.