UKSolicitorJA
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
62162956

we are purchasing a 21ft motorhome, please can you let

Customer Question

we are purchasing a 21ft motorhome, please can you let me know the laws on parking this on my drive,
We live in a 1950 built detached bungalow on a quiet residential avenue , I believe on our deeds it states no caravans, boats and trailers are allowed.
Where does a motorhome come into this category, as I believe as a taxed and insured vehicle this can be parked outside our property with no problem, but would prefer to park on our drive it would be 15ft away from our neighbours bungalow so would not affect the light going into their property.and does not obstruct any views or access to other properties it will be parked at least 18inches from the front of our drive which has a pavement and grass verge before reaching the very quiet road.
Please can you advise me on this matter,
Sue Longland
Expert:  UKSolicitorJA replied 2 years ago.
,

I suepct your motorhome will be registered as "motor caravan" with the DVLA in which case it would be a caravan and therefore fall within the restrictive covenenant in your deeds.

I would suggest that you ask the dealer whether it is indeed classed as a "motor caravan" by DVLA and if yes, you have your answer. It is a caravan (albeit with a motor) and you are restricted from parking it on your drive.

Hope this helps