75100385

My question is: does a credit note cancel a debt, or can the

Customer Question

My question is: does a credit note cancel a debt, or can the company a month after the date of the credit note then insist on payment.
The background is:
I hired a car from Hertz to use in Italy in October 2014. The bill came to Euro 1300 = to£950, most of this to the car. I had serious problems in trying to return the car when I (the only driver) dislocated my arm. Hertz paid me compensation expenses & loss of a day`s holiday. They also tried to claim the £950 from my credit card against the credit card rules, so the card refused payment. In mid December last, I received a credit note (in Italian) from Hertz in Rome. I thought that was the end of the matter and advised my holiday group. In mid January, I received a final demand from the same Hertz Rome office.
Thanks, ***** *****
Alex Watts :

Irving my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.

Alex Watts :

Yes a credit note cancels the debit note (invoice).

Alex Watts :

The credit would simply be offset against the debt and you would owe the balance, if any\

Alex Watts :

Can I clarify anything about this today please?

Alex Watts :

If this answers your question could I invite you rate my answer before you leave today.

If the system won’t let you please click reply.

Please bookmark my profile if you wish help: http://www.justanswer.co.uk/law/expert-alexwatts/

JACUSTOMER-yjyhg5uz- :

Thank you Alex. Can you address the 2nd part of my question? Which is: After I got the credit note from Hertz in Italy, the same office sent me a `final` demand. Does the Final demand cancel the credit note? Or can i say - "Sorry Hertz, my credit note completely cancels the debt, so please leave me alone?"

JACUSTOMER-yjyhg5uz- :

Thans,

Alex Watts :

You can say the credit note cancels the debt so leave you alone

Alex Watts :

Does that clarify?