12826847

if a garage says they have replaced parts inside my engine

Customer Question

if a garage says they have replaced parts inside my engine on my car am i entitled to see or have the parts that they have been replaced
-Could you explain your situation a little more?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

itelephoned a gaqrage regarding something was wrong with my car i was asked what was happening .i told the garage that i was only able to get 3rd gear the garage said fetch the car in and we would have a look at it .i was told by the garage that it was the clutch and i left my car with them this was on the 27/10/2014 . i phoned the garage on the 30/10/2014 and aske4d for a progress report and was told that the car would be ready that evening.iwent to the garage that evening to collect my car and to pay the bill. i was told that the car was running perfectly now and i paid the bill in cash.driving the car home iwas having trouble getting 2nd gear and the gear was grating so i decided to take the car back to the garage next morning this i did at 9am i thought that thegears needed adjusting. iwas told that there was no adjusment on it. the garage tried the car and i was told that it was not right and i was told that he would talk to a friend who was a gearbox expert who told him it was a common fault on that car

There is no law which says that they have to show the parts to you which they have replaced. However it is not an unreasonable request and most garages will keep any or damage part to justify the replacement and the cost of the bill.If they will not supply you with the worn or replaced parts and you made that request immediately there was a problem with the car and certainly within 24 hours, then it would raise suspicion as to whether they had actually done the work they charged you for. It is unlikely they would have put them in the bin and the bin emptied in such a short space of time. It’s also remarkably suspicious that they are ignoring the requests.As it stands at present, they are in breach of the provisions of the Supply of Goods and Services Act for failing to carry out the job with reasonable care and skill.It may be a common fault on the car but the fact remains that you paid the garage to fix it, they told you they had fixed it and clearly it is not fixed.You are entitled to a refund and if the car costs you more money to get fixed elsewhere, (this garage did tell you they had fixed it) they are responsible for the extra cost. You may have to sue them because garages do not routinely pay up in circumstances like this.Can I clarify anything for you?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

you say that they are in breach of the provisions of supply of goods and services act for failing to carry out the job with reasonable care and skill.can you please give me the act reference number that refers to this act

s13

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1982/29/part/II
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

could you please explain what part of the act concerns my case and why

S13.
I gave you the link above?
Is it visible to you? Sometimes it doesn't open.