75100385

There. I have had a gentleman agreement business,

There.
I have had a gentleman agreement business, the license of business was transfered to me with (the previouse owner and the landlord present) to me.
in our agreement the previous owner and I accepted the conditions. He asked me to pay the transfer fee and i did. the reason he mentioned to get rid of it was because he has a new born baby, he purchased a property outside the country and he is going through legal matter with some other person, so he wants to get out of business and have a easy life.
since then I have paid all my rent ontime to my landlord, to him I am the legal tennat of the property. now after a few month the guy came to scene and trying to bully me to pay him some money. which I am not going to do so. he has threaten me to take legal action and today I receive a letter from his lawer asking me to providea document proving the license of property is transfer to me. if otherwise they will take me to local county court.
I responded to lawyer saying he should gain more info before being instructed to anyone. infos like contacting my landlord.
could you tell me my rights and what to do now.
and how long this procedure will take?
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
Alex Watts :

my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this

Alex Watts :

What is it you want to achieve please?

Customer:

I just want them to leave me alone and let me to live my life

Alex Watts :

So the business has been transferred and you want to be left to get on with it?

Customer:

yes

Alex Watts :

OK, have they issued proceedings?

Customer:

i have received a letter from their lawyer saying: our instructure are that you claim a contract has been made between you and our clients transferring the license of the premises into your name. we also understand that you have said that our clients business has been sold to you as well. could you please let us see copies of any alleged contracts you hold

Alex Watts :

Ok, sadly you cant stop them bringing a claim

Alex Watts :

But if the business was transferred and you paid the fee then I can not see what they can do

Alex Watts :

You have the business and are running

Alex Watts :

If they are not now satisfied really I think it is tough luck

Alex Watts :

Should have thought about that before selling the business

Alex Watts :

But clearly this shows you the importance of not trusting people and making sure everything is in writing

Customer:

yes. it was transfered to me by his presense at my landlord office.

Customer:

i know i should not trust when doing business.

Customer:

I have now information that they using different family name wrong doings such as claiming benefit ...etc

Customer:

so what shall i do next

Alex Watts :

There is nothing you can really do at the moment save what they say. Just write back setting out your position.

Alex Watts :

They will then go away or take Court action.

Customer:

shall i respond to their lawyer?

Alex Watts :

Yes

Alex Watts :

See above

Customer:

ok. Im going to tell their lawyer that to get more info from my landlord.

Alex Watts :

Ok. Can I clarify anything else ?

Customer:

yes

Alex Watts :

Ok?

Customer:

they trying to creat all these tension in order to bully me and to force me to sell the business. however its no from me. if the lawyer is not satisfied what are the chances to go through the county court and what chances of winning this case

Alex Watts :

I can't say as I have not seen all the evidence so would be wrong of me to give a formal view.

Alex Watts :

However if you can show you have the business, made payment etc, this seems to point to a transfer of sale

Customer:

thanks reply. i really hope their lawyer come tosence that they are wrong

Alex Watts :

Indeed. Can I clarify anything else ?

Customer:

no thank you so much.

Alex Watts :

Great. If I could ask you to rate my answer before you go today, the button should be at the bottom of the screen

Alex Watts :

If you need more help please click reply

Experience: Solicitor with 5+ years experience