29905560

what is the defamation of charecter

Customer Question

what is the defamation of charecter
Ben Jones :

, my name is ***** ***** it is my pleasure to assist you with your question today. Can you please explain your situation in a bit more detail?

JACUSTOMER-cbjlxqt4- :

I just want to know the definition of defamation of character in English law and what the law need to call it defamation

Ben Jones :

In English law defamation is known as the publishing of a statement which lowers the individual or a company in the estimation of right thinking members of society generally. A statement is not defamatory unless its publication has caused or is likely to cause serious harm to the reputation of the claimant. The claimant must establish that the words complained of are published to a third party and that the defendant published or is responsible publication of the words.

Ben Jones :

Hope this clarifies your position? If you could please let me know that would be great, thank you

Ben Jones :

, I see you have accessed and read my answer to your query. Please let me know if this has answered your original question or if you need me to clarify anything else in relation to this? I just need to know whether to close the question or not? Thanks