Aston Lawyer
Aston Lawyer, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor LLB (Hons) 23 years of experience in Conveyancing and Property Law
16368554

my partner of 26 yrs passed away in September, We both made

Customer Question

my partner of 26 yrs passed away in September, We both made wills over 5 yrs ago stating that whichever of us passed away first the other was to inherit everything, the wills were legally registered and I am gradually dealing with everything but its taking me quite a while and at almost 73 yrs of age and having never had to go through anything like this before because we weren't married things have to go to probate,The house mortgage was settled after us being together 2 yrs,and we have never had debts, the value of the house and contents total about £155,000,00 but the problem that I have is the car,it has always been registered in my partners name but I have been the main driver,We bought the car in 2005 the first time we had ever had a brand new car,but we part exchanged our previous car to get the new one and that car was in my partners name the insurance is in my name and has always been comprehensive but with my partner no longer here to sign the cars registration certificate I don't know what to do, I need the car to enable me to get around and because of Arthritis I do have a blue badge, could you please advise me what I can do, I'm sorry that this is a long drawn out mail but I needed to let you know all of the details , thank you
Expert:  Aston Lawyer replied 2 years ago.
and thanks Just Answer.
My name is ***** ***** am happy to assist you with your enquiry.
If you have the V5C registration certificate
You need to:
fill in section 6 ‘new keeper details’
sign and date the ‘new keeper declaration’
tear off and keep the green V5C/2 ‘new keeper’s supplement’
Send the V5C registration certificate to the DVLA Sensitive Casework Team. Include a letter explaining your relationship to the person who’s died and the date of death. You can also send them a copy of the Will.
Sensitive Casework Team
DVLA
Swansea
SA99 1ZZ
I hope this helps and answers your question.
Kind Regards
AL