29905560

My car was written off after an accident in December 2014 I

Customer Question

My car was written off after an accident in December 2014
I bought the car in Feb 2014 for £7550
The insurance company have valued the car at £5620
I have rejected this offer as valuations I have car range from £6400 to £6850
and to replace my car will cost between £7450 to £7950 this being from a fanchised dealer where I always buy my cars.
How do I complain or get the insurance company to increase their offer?
Ben Jones :

, my name is ***** ***** it is my pleasure to assist you with your question today. Have you submitted a formal complaint to the insurance company about this?

JACUSTOMER-ytuupw7v- :

yes

Ben Jones :

There will be no quick fox to this unfortunately. You have already used the internal complaints procedure and whilst you can next go to the Financial Ombudsman, you need to have received the final decision by the insurance company first. So you must follow their internal complaints process to its full completion and been given their final decision before the FO is allowed to hear your complaint.

Once you have exhausted the internal complaints process you can go to the FO. This is an independent body which will hear your case and make a formal decision, which would be binding on the insurance company. So if they decide in your favour, the insurance company will have to honour that decision. The complaints process and the forms you need to complete are here:

http://www.financial-ombudsman.org.uk/consumer/complaints.htm

At any point you are also able to go to court but I would advise you go through the FO process first as at least that is free, before you actually consider the legal route.

Hope this clarifies your position? If you could please let me know that would be great, thank you

JACUSTOMER-ytuupw7v- :

I am already aware of the complaint procedure through the insurance company and the Financial Ombudsman. First it is 8 weeks from making the complaint, the insurance company have already given me the run around past 8 weeks now complaint another 8 weeks. Then poss the F.O. thanks.

Ben Jones :

ok do you need me to clarify anything further in relation to this please?

JACUSTOMER-ytuupw7v- :

no

Ben Jones :

ok