Aston Lawyer
Aston Lawyer, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor LLB (Hons) 23 years of experience in Conveyancing and Property Law
16368554

Good evening I have a query about the reading of a will.

Good evening
I have a query about the reading of a will. Is there by law a time limit set by which
a will must have been read after the death of a friend or relative?
Expert:  Aston Lawyer replied 2 years ago.

and thanks Just Answer.

My name is ***** ***** am happy to assist you with your enquiry.

I'm afraid there is law relating to the "reading of a Will" and indeed this is a myth which is only seen on tv. In practice, a Will is never read out with all the beneficiaries/family being present at the same time.

This is because a Will is a private document, and an Executor is only under a duty to notify each beneficiary of their respective entitlements. An Executor is therefore under a duty to notify each beneficiary (normally done in writing or through the Solicitor acting in the Estate), within a reasonable amount of time, which normally would be really within 3 months from the date of him starting the administration of the Estate.

Therefore,if you are beneficiary, I would certainly hope he would have notified you by now.

On a side point, once Probate has been granted to the Executor, the Will becomes a public document, and any member of the public can make a postal application to the Leeds District Probate Registry copy of it at a nominal cost.

I hope this assists you.

Kind Regards

AL

Yvonne,

Can I assist you any further?

Kind Regards

AL