How JustAnswer Works:

  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.

Ask Aston Lawyer Your Own Question

Aston Lawyer
Aston Lawyer, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10428
Experience:  Solicitor LLB (Hons) 23 years of experience in Conveyancing and Property Law
Type Your Law Question Here...
Aston Lawyer is online now

My mother is terminally ill and was diagnosed with stage 4

Customer Question

My mother is terminally ill and was diagnosed with stage 4 stomach cancer a year ago. She is currently in hospital unable to move, walk or talk. When my mother was able to talk she made me her representative with her finances and collecting documents from hospitals as she wasn't well enough to walk. No one from our family wanted to support my mother and myself. Now that my mother is taking in her last breaths, my older sister turned up and is wanting power in what happens with our mothers belongings. My sister is an unstable ex drug addict who has lost her children in a court battle recently. My mother did not leave a will but she gave me tasks to do with her belongings and I am afraid that my sister is going to corrupt. What can I do to prevent this?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Aston Lawyer replied 2 years ago.

and thanks Just Answer.

My name is ***** ***** am happy to assist you with your enquiry.

I am sorry to hear of your situation.

As your mother has not made a Will, when anything happens to her, her Estate has to be divided up in accordance with the strict Intestacy Rules. On the basis that your father is not alive, these rules state that her Estate is to be divided equally between her children.

This is so, notwithstanding the behaviour of the children during the deceased's lifetime.

As regards ***** ***** Estate, either of the next of kin (ie yourself or your sister) can apply to a local Probate Registry to become Administrator of the Estate. This is on a first come, first served basis and can be dealt with through a Solicitor or a personal application. Whoever is appointed as Administrator is then entitled and under a duty to distribute the Estate in accordance with the Intestacy Rules.

You do therefore really need to apply to become Administrator whenever anything happens to your mother. Then, at least you should be able to safeguard her belongings and monies and make sure that your sister does not take what she is not entitled to.

I hope this assists you and sets out the legal position.

Kind Regards


What Customers are Saying:

  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie
< Previous | Next >
  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie
  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C.
  • This expert is wonderful. They truly know what they are talking about, and they actually care about you. They really helped put my nerves at ease. Thank you so much!!!! Alex
  • Thank you for all your help. It is nice to know that this service is here for people like myself, who need answers fast and are not sure who to consult. GP
  • I couldn't be more satisfied! This is the site I will always come to when I need a second opinion. Justin
  • Just let me say that this encounter has been entirely professional and most helpful. I liked that I could ask additional questions and get answered in a very short turn around. Esther

Meet The Experts:

  • Jo C.

    Jo C.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 5 years in practice
< Previous | Next >
  • Jo C.'s Avatar

    Jo C.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 5 years in practice
  • Ben Jones's Avatar

    Ben Jones

    UK Lawyer

    Satisfied Customers:

    Qualified Solicitor - Please start your question with 'For Ben Jones'
  • Buachaill's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Barrister 17 years experience
  • Max Lowry's Avatar

    Max Lowry


    Satisfied Customers:

    LLB, 10 years post qualification experience
  • UK_Lawyer's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    I am a qualified solicitor and an expert in UK law.
  • Kasare's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Solicitor, 10 yrs plus experience in civil litigation, employment and family law
  • Joshua's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    LL.B (Hons), Higher Prof. Dip. Law & Practice