75100385

. I received an overstay car parking fine in August last

Customer Question

I received an overstay car parking fine in August last year at a retail park in Luton. The photo shows me enter ting and leaving totalling minutes of 379 mins in what is only 180 minutes of which is allowed. However I entered the retail park twice on this day each visit in a time slot of 30 mins. The car fine company g24...have continually ignored my requests to check the cameras at quite specific times that I gave them where they would clearly see me enter and leave twice instead of the picture just capturing me the first time entering...without checking me leaving half hour later...and then in the evening returning and entering the car park again..and leave approx 15mins later...which is where the have taken there exiting picture from. They have now left it in the hands of debt collectors/court action...which I will be more than willing to do. My only concern is that the say they do not keep camera footage after 3 months...so as I have no other proof if it goes to court will the win and will I be left with more charges. I would have thought in a court of law if I am requesting them to show footage at a certain time...surely they would have to provide this if I know it proves my innocence, or are they correct in saying that they destroy these types of evidence after 3 months. To me this means that the can basically try and scam anyone to suit themselves. My conversations that I had with them by phone in the first instance was well within 3 months where they confirmed they had received my letter where I had also given them this information. I do not understand why they didn't re check there cameras at that point. Any help greatly appreciated. Thank you
Alex Watts : Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this,
Alex Watts : For now please let me know whether it was a private firm ?
JACUSTOMER-tcyqse2p- : hi
JACUSTOMER-tcyqse2p- : Hi Alex...I beleive they are a private firm operating on council owned retail park. The first letter was a contractural parking charge notice, the second a final demand each time the money increasing
JACUSTOMER-tcyqse2p- : Hi Alex....one more thing if it helps...this company are all over the money supermarket forum,!
Alex Watts : Ok you can ignore it. You wouldn't need to prove anything if it went to court, they would have to prove everything.
Alex Watts : They need to prove you agreed to a contract with them, they can't prove that because it was parking. They would have to show you agreed to their terms and conditions, they can't because they would need terms on every bay.they would need to show they suffered a loss, they can't because it was free parking
Alex Watts : At the very most they Could maybe claim £5
Alex Watts : These tickets are no more than invoices. You don't need to pay.
Alex Watts : Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?
JACUSTOMER-tcyqse2p- : hi alex
JACUSTOMER-tcyqse2p- : hi Alex ..thank you very much for your reply. Can I just clarify a few points so that I can be double sure, and I apologise in advance if I am repeating myself. If they did take me to court they have/as I have the first notice with the picture of me entering at say 12pm and the exiting at 6.30 pm. Although I know I was out and back in again between these times....in a court would it not be just looked at that this is there proof! If I was the one to request to show the cameras at lets say 12.45 pm when I left...and 5.50 pm when I re entered..is this something they would have to show...even though they say they don't keep camera evidence after 3 months,..I will await your response.....thank you
Alex Watts :

It makes no difference, the answer is the same.

Alex Watts :

The primary point is there was no contract, the secondary is that they suffered no loss

Alex Watts :

Does that help?

JACUSTOMER-tcyqse2p- : Hi Alex....I think I get what your saying. Long and short of it is...they are chancers and there is nothing they can do. Do you think it would be wise to contact them one more time to basically tell them I will not be paying and the rest is basically up to them?
Alex Watts :

I would not contact them, but if you want to and say in short you are not paying take me to Court!

Alex Watts :

That may be the end of it

Alex Watts :

Does that help?

JACUSTOMER-tcyqse2p- : Thank you Alex... This does help. I feel a lot clearer about it as although I felt they could not do anything when I know I am the innocent party..I just needed to know my rights. Thank you so much for been swift, clear and precise. Barbara
Alex Watts : Thanks. If I could ask you to rate my answer before you go today, can I ask you to rate my answer before you go today
Alex Watts : If you need more help please click reply
Experience: Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi Alex
Apologies for having to contact you again, but i made some investigations today, and I think it might be a private landlord car park as the council did not seem to have anything on there system for it. I tried to contact land registry to find out for definite who the landlord was but unfortunately could not get an answer on the phone. My question is...does this change anything.?
Barbara
No the answer remains the same for private land.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
thanks Alex.........music to my ears
Happy to help!