75100385

I am 81 years of age, I still am employed as a merchandiser,

I am 81 years of age, I still am employed as a merchandiser, part time, I have done this work years. I have my retirement pension but no savings. I work because I have too. I recently received a letter, which has shocked me very much. It arrived on Friday last. It stated that I had to sign the letter in acknowledgment of receipt and post it back, in my shocked state I cannot remember to whom it was addressed. But it has accused me of Fraud, and I must attend a hearing in the Job Centre in Dereham on the 11th of February.
To say I am shaking with shock is putting it mildly I can't think straight, honesty is my stock in trade as I am welcomed in all the Supermarkets and stores on a temporary basis to work. Please can you help me
Alex Watts :

my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.

Alex Watts :

please let me know whether you have been declaring your income to the DWP?

Customer:

My income is reveiwed by my employer and any tax etc is deducted at scource. At present I don't pay any tax., but I have been apparantly in receipt of benefit tax{?} I do not recall applying , as far as I knew I wasn't in receipt of this. I do remember receiving a letter stating that ' my situation had changed'

Customer:

....and therefore I wouldn't receive any benefits. I am in the dark about all of this, and very confused. If I have inadvertantly been paid these benefits, I am quite willing to repay them, but can't think how this situation has arisen. I do hope you are able to advise me as to what I can do.

Alex Watts :

Had you declared the income though to the DWP?

Customer:

My salary yes, I don't think anyone else asked me about my situation. I don't remember filling in any forms, can't think why I would need to.

Alex Watts : So you have fully declared all your income to the DWP?
Customer:

If I were asked I would have done so, but can't remember being asked

Alex Watts :

If you failed to declare ALL the income then this is an offence of failure to declare a change in circumstances.

Alex Watts :

So you need to see what income you have declared and what has not been declared. ALL income needs to be declared no matter what source it is from

Alex Watts :

If it has not all been declared this sadly may cause you an issue.

Alex Watts :

There may be an overpayment which you may need to pay back

Alex Watts :

But until you go you can't guess.

Alex Watts :

However you would be entitled to take a Solicitor with toy.

Alex Watts :

* you *

Alex Watts :

can I clarify anything about this today please?