13262538

My uncle is executor of my nans will. I have asked to see a statement of accounts. My uncl

Customer Question

My uncle is executor of my nans will. I have asked to see a statement of accounts. My uncle has taken this personally and thinks I mistrust him. I have seen no documentation and haven't a clue what we are getting but he wants me to sign a document to say I am happy to split the money four ways between himself, my mother and sister as the money has been left to my sister and I. Should I see a statement of accounts before signing? Where would I stand if I signed before knowing the total amount of money?

Thank you question.

Do you know if a Grant of Probate has been obtained?
Are you actually happy to share the money with your mother and Uncle?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yes a grant of probate has been done.

I am happy to share it I'm just not sure if I should sign a legal document to say I am happy to share it when I don't know how much it is. I haven't been shown anything.

My uncle has become very upset and defensive with me as he thinks I don't trust him.

Have you seen a copy of the Will?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

i have not read through it but I know there is a copy. I think my uncle was shocked as the solicitors found the updated will which has meant my sister and I have been left the money. my nan did leave the house to my mum and uncle but it was sold because she had to go into care.

I suspect your Uncle is defensive as he knows that you are entitled to know how much you are giving away before you sign the paperwork - and is still upset that he is losing out under the Will unless you and your sister agree to share the money.
You can obtain a copy of the Grant Of Probate and the Will using the service here
https://www.gov.uk/search-will-probate
The Grant of Probate will give you the net value of the Estate and the Will will tell you if you and your sister are what is called "Residuary beneficiaries" - entitled to whatever is left after all the specific gifts are made
If you are then legally your Uncle MUST give you a copy of the Estate accounts.
Either way it is reasonable to say to him that you would like to know how much you are giving away BEFORE you sign the paperwork - point out that of not then technically you could withdraw your consent and sue him - not of course that you would - but legally you could
Please ask if you need further details
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you, ***** ***** really helpful. I will go to the link and see if o can search copy

You are most welcome - I hope all goes well