LondonlawyerJ
LondonlawyerJ, Advocate
Experience:  Solicitor with over 15 years experience.
76316425

I own a house with 4 students under individual shorthold tenancy

Customer Question

I own a house with 4 students under individual shorthold tenancy agreements fixed term exclusive of bills. The bills package of £17 pppw is paid directly to me and I then handle the elec gas water TV and internet.
1 tenant reasons has decided to move out but intends to continue paying his rent as per contract. He is now in arrears with the bills payment and has made no mention of paying. I have e-mail communication where he agreed to pay 13x4 weekly instalments of £68 which he did until he moved out on the 28th of Jan,he failed to pay on the 26th Jan.
I feel he should continue to pay but am I right?
His parents are guarantors.
Expert:  LondonlawyerJ replied 2 years ago.
Customer:

, I am a solicitor with 20 years experience. I will try to help you with this.

Customer:

I will be on and off this site today around my professional commitments but will look again later.

Customer:

The short answer to this is that it will depend on what is written in the tenancy agreement. If this makes it clear that he is responsible defined share of the bills during his stay then he will be responsible. If it doesn't then probably not.