75100385

In France, if someone asked a agent to purchase a horse for

In France, if someone asked a agent to purchase a horse for him but then failed to pay after18 months. Would the agent be the legal owner of the horse.
Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 2 years ago.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

A man in UK asked a French horse agent to purchase a stallion from a French stud farm. I have since found out he did not pay the agent but sold shares in the horse to myself and another person. Before I take action I would like to find out if legally the horse is owned by the man in the UK or the person who paid the horse’s owner.

We will continue to look for a Professional to assist you.
Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.
Was there a contract between the agent and purchaser please?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

The French agents wife paid for the horse when the cheque from the man in the UK bounced. The horse was then moved to Ireland to carry on his stud duties. I have only just found out about this. I think I will end up in court to recover my money from the man in UK.

Indeed, I think you will.
You need to write and set out your losses and request a refund within 14 days or say you will go to Court within 14 days. You should make sure you send this signed delivery and keep a copy.
If they do not refund you then you can issue proceedings in the County Court. You can either do this online at: www.moneyclaim.gov.uk or by completing form N1 http://hmctsformfinder.justice.gov.uk/courtfinder/forms/n001-eng.pdf and take it to your local County Court.
The Court will then issue a claim which a copy will be sent to the Defendant who will have a limited time to defend it, if not you can enter Judgment and enforce.
If the claim is for £10,000 or less it will be a small claim so you will not need legal representation. Over this value you would need representation for trial.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Still no answer to question, in French law does the horse belong to the French agent or the man in UK?

The horse belongs to the man in the UK as the agent is just that, an agent on behalf of the man.
Experience: Solicitor with 5+ years experience