75100385

My apartment has a problem with rats. It is established that

My apartment has a problem with rats. It is established that that this is not my fault, rather its some problem with the local sewers or drains. Major work needs to be done in the kitchen area. Do I have to live in the apartment whilst this is done, if so can I expect some reduction of the rent during the period of disruption, or should the landlord pay accommodation.
Alex Watts :

my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.

Alex Watts :

please let me know how long you have suffered and what your losses are?

Customer:

The problem was first noticed and reported on January 1st this year. I have lost some food from the kitchen, but this is not really the problem.

Customer:

The repair work is going to involve significant disruption of the kitchen and some or all of the kitchen units. It will be unworkable as a kitchen.

Alex Watts :

How much would you say you have lost?

Customer: Nothing yet, because the work hasn't started. When it does and I cannot use the kitchen because of it, then my food costs will be higher. I haven't been given an estimate of how long it will take, so I don't yet know what the additional cost to me will be.
Alex Watts :

Ok, would it be less than £10,000?

Customer:

Oh yes, I'm sure it will be a very small figure. My main concern is the inconvenience of living in a small apartment with the kitchen out of action whilst various work is done to prevent the rats from getting into the building.

Alex Watts :

You need to write and set out your losses and request a payment within 14 days or say you will go to Court within 14 days. You should make sure you send this signed delivery and keep a copy.

If they do not pay you then you can issue proceedings in the County Court. You can either do this online at: www.moneyclaim.gov.uk or by completing form N1 http://hmctsformfinder.justice.gov.uk/courtfinder/forms/n001-eng.pdf and take it to your local County Court.

The Court will then issue a claim which a copy will be sent to the Defendant who will have a limited time to defend it, if not you can enter Judgment and enforce.

If the claim is for £10,000 or less it will be a small claim so you will not need legal representation. Over this value you would need representation .

Can I clarify anything about this today please?

Customer: Thank you, ***** ***** my question.
Alex Watts :

Great if I could ask you to rate my answer before you go today, the button should be at the bottom of the screen

Alex Watts :

If you need more help please click reply