How JustAnswer Works:

  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.

Ask Jo C. Your Own Question

Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 70114
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

workshop unit rental agreement

Customer Question

I am currently under a rental agreement with knight frank unit in an industrial estate. the rent cesser period is 2 years which started 30/04/14 and ends 30/04/16
I have been offered a job in the U.S.A and I can not afford to turn it down as my current business isn't generating enough money to cover the rent.
I would like to find out if there was a way I can reduce the rental cost with the landlord or if I can terminate the contract early.
thank you.
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Jo C. replied 2 years ago.


Thank you question. My name is ***** ***** I will try to help with this.

Does landlord know you are moving abroad?

Do you have any UK assets?

If it was that easy to get out of the lease, there would be no point in having the lease in the first place.

If there is no provision to get out early, then you have to pay the rent until the end of the term or until the landlord gets another tenant. He has a duty to try to get another tenant if you leave. There are certain practical difficulties landlord because legal proceedings and trying to enforce them in the United States is not going to be particularly practical and cost-effective.

It is generally thought that unless a debt is over £15,000 than it actually isn’t worth pursuing in another country.

You need to make sure that the landlord has the address in the United States so that your last known address is United States. You need to make sure that he does not issue proceedings at your current UK address (last known address) and then get judgement by default at that address which may not be particularly convenient and certainly .

If it is a rented address, you may not be particularly bothered about the consequences.

If he only has the UK address he could actually get a judgement against you by default in the UK if you don’t defend his proceedings and then get a further order to have a charge on your house.

However if you have no UK assets that is not of concern.

Can I clarify anything?

What Customers are Saying:

  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie
< Previous | Next >
  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie
  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C.
  • This expert is wonderful. They truly know what they are talking about, and they actually care about you. They really helped put my nerves at ease. Thank you so much!!!! Alex
  • Thank you for all your help. It is nice to know that this service is here for people like myself, who need answers fast and are not sure who to consult. GP
  • I couldn't be more satisfied! This is the site I will always come to when I need a second opinion. Justin
  • Just let me say that this encounter has been entirely professional and most helpful. I liked that I could ask additional questions and get answered in a very short turn around. Esther

Meet The Experts:

  • Jo C.

    Jo C.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 5 years in practice
< Previous | Next >
  • Jo C.'s Avatar

    Jo C.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 5 years in practice
  • Ben Jones's Avatar

    Ben Jones

    UK Lawyer

    Satisfied Customers:

    Qualified Solicitor - Please start your question with 'For Ben Jones'
  • Buachaill's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Barrister 17 years experience
  • Max Lowry's Avatar

    Max Lowry


    Satisfied Customers:

    LLB, 10 years post qualification experience
  • UK_Lawyer's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    I am a qualified solicitor and an expert in UK law.
  • Kasare's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Solicitor, 10 yrs plus experience in civil litigation, employment and family law
  • Joshua's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    LL.B (Hons), Higher Prof. Dip. Law & Practice