12826847

workshop unit rental agreement

Customer Question

there,
I am currently under a rental agreement with knight frank unit in an industrial estate. the rent cesser period is 2 years which started 30/04/14 and ends 30/04/16
I have been offered a job in the U.S.A and I can not afford to turn it down as my current business isn't generating enough money to cover the rent.
I would like to find out if there was a way I can reduce the rental cost with the landlord or if I can terminate the contract early.
thank you.

.

Thank you question. My name is ***** ***** I will try to help with this.

Does landlord know you are moving abroad?

Do you have any UK assets?

If it was that easy to get out of the lease, there would be no point in having the lease in the first place.

If there is no provision to get out early, then you have to pay the rent until the end of the term or until the landlord gets another tenant. He has a duty to try to get another tenant if you leave. There are certain practical difficulties landlord because legal proceedings and trying to enforce them in the United States is not going to be particularly practical and cost-effective.

It is generally thought that unless a debt is over £15,000 than it actually isn’t worth pursuing in another country.

You need to make sure that the landlord has the address in the United States so that your last known address is United States. You need to make sure that he does not issue proceedings at your current UK address (last known address) and then get judgement by default at that address which may not be particularly convenient and certainly .

If it is a rented address, you may not be particularly bothered about the consequences.

If he only has the UK address he could actually get a judgement against you by default in the UK if you don’t defend his proceedings and then get a further order to have a charge on your house.

However if you have no UK assets that is not of concern.

Can I clarify anything?