75100385

My boss recently received a speeding fine and asked me to book

My boss recently received a speeding fine and asked me to book him on the course - I accidently paid the fine thinking I was paying course. I immediately called the camera, tickets and collisons unit and asked them if we could have the option to change and book Mr Usten onto the course and I was told this could not be done. I wrote and pleaded to say this was a genuine error and Mr Usten had a clean licence since driving 30 years. I have now received a letter to say it will go to court and the magistrate will decide. Mr Usten is unsure what to do best - can you advise?
Alex Watts :

my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.

Alex Watts :

I do not quite understand, did he sent back the Notice of Intended Prosecution?

Customer:

He accepted the speeding fine and the next step was to either pay the fine and surrender his licence or accept the course - I studiedly paid the fine thinking I was paying course. It was totally my fault and a genuine error - I called to book a course and they said I couldn't do that as I had paid the fine

Customer:

I would like to know if we should take the chance and go to court and see what the magistrates says or just surrender the licence and accept the 3 points.

Alex Watts :

Ok thank you. Have they say why its not possible to transfer the money from the fine to the course? did you supply a covering letter asking course?

Customer:

no they said that said the option was taken away once I had paid - I sent a letter to the camera tickets and collision unit and explained that it was an error and they said it was up to the courts

Alex Watts :

Ok, then technically your boss needs to plead guilty, go to Court and explain what has happened.

Alex Watts :

The CPS may consider to offer the speed course before the plea is entered given what has been said. There is no guarantee of that.

Alex Watts :

Then if the CPS dont the Court could award (if they consider it just to do so), a lower penalty.

Alex Watts :

They can either do this by giving an absolute discharge or if they find special reasons.

Alex Watts :

However it is a matter Court and you can't guarantee what will happen

Alex Watts :

Can I clarify anything about this today please?

Customer:

He has pleaded guilty - do you think I can write to the court?

Alex Watts :

Yes I would.

Alex Watts :

He should also go (and you) to explain the circumstances

Alex Watts :

Can I clarify anything else ?

Customer:

we are just worried it is a waste of their time and want to avoid this - thank you will write to them - I wanted to know if you had any experience at all with anything similar - thanks

Alex Watts :

It does happen sadly. But sadly you have to rely on the CPS at Court to make a decision usually.

Alex Watts :

Can I clarify anything else ?

Customer:

thank you help

Alex Watts :

Great. If I could ask you to rate my answer before you go today, the button at the bottom of the screen

Alex Watts :

If you need more help please click reply