Alex J.
Alex J., Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitors 2 years plus PQE
13113900

I import model steam engines from Germany and sell to shops

Customer Question

I import model steam engines from Germany and sell to shops around the UK. I sold a model in 2009 to a shop who had it on their shelf until it was purchased at Christmas 2014. The customer returned it model unused to the shop in January as it had a fault and the shop refunded their customer. The shop has sent the model back to me credit. I have agreed to fix the item so they can sell it again but they are insisting on a credit. What is my legal obligation?.
Martin
Expert:  Alex J. replied 2 years ago.
Alex J. :

, Thank you question and welcome. Legally under the Sale of Goods Act 1979, you are entitled to attempt to repair the item and insist the purchase remains. However if this company wants credit presumably they want to continue trading with you?

Alex J. :

As a remedy do you want them to take the item and risk a dispute with them or credit them item and continue future trading? Have they indicated that they will buy from you again?