29905560

I recently answered an ad of a Private Investigator.

I recently answered an ad for recruitment of a Private Investigator. I stupidly paid some money up front towards the training which turned out to be an online course that I completed and passed. They told me that it was completely legitmate and communcated with me throughout the course, which i have since discovered is not a recognsed qualification in the industry. Since then, however, they will not answer my e-mails. They told me that I would receive an ID card and would be able to take live cases. Do I have a case against them?
Ben Jones :

Hello, my name is ***** ***** it is my pleasure to assist you with your question today. What are you hoping to achieve - get your money back?

Customer:

Yes I was

Customer:

I have researched it and I believe that they were jkust trying to obtain money by deception. Although everything looked above board. Even their website.

Ben Jones :

How much did you pay?

Customer:

£490.00

Ben Jones :

Were you ever told it was a recognised course?

Customer:

No, but I have all of the communication that says that once completed I could go on to live cases

Ben Jones :

The key here is whether the course was misrepresented to you in a way that any reasonable person would not have been aware that what they were offering was not what they actually claimed. You say they offered you the chance to work on live cases after completion so it depends on whether that is possible, or if it is completely impossible due to regulatory restrictions. I am not aware of the legal requirements of private investigators and what they need to work on live cases so you need to determine that based on your knowledge about the industry, which you would know better than me.

Assuming you were misrepresented you could try and claim they had acted in breach of contract. Whenever a dispute arises over money owed by one party to another, the debtor can be pursued through the civil courts for recovery of the debt. As legal action should always be seen as a last resort, there are certain actions that should be taken initially to try and resolve this matter informally and without having to involve the courts. It is recommended that the process follows these steps:

1. Reminder letter – if no reminders have been sent yet, one should be sent first to allow the debtor to voluntarily pay what is due.

2. Letter before action – if informal reminders have been sent but these have been ignored, the debtor must be sent a formal letter asking them to repay the debt, or at least make arrangements for its repayment, within a specified period of time. A reasonable period to demand a response by would be 10 days. They should be advised that if they fail to do contact you in order to resolve this matter, formal legal proceedings will be commenced to recover the debt. This letter serves as a ‘final warning’ and gives the other side the opportunity to resolve this matter without the need for legal action.

3. If they fail to pay or at least make contact to try and resolve this, formal legal proceedings can be initiated. A claim can be commenced online by going to www.moneyclaim.gov.uk. Once the claim form is completed it will be sent to the debtor and they will have a limited time to defend it. If they are aware legal proceedings have commenced it could also prompt them to reconsider their position and perhaps force them to contact you to try and resolve this.

Whatever correspondence is sent, it is always advisable to keep copies and use recorded delivery so that there is proof of delivery and a paper trail. The court may need to refer to these if it gets that far.

Hope this clarifies your position? If you could please let me know that would be great, thank you

Ben Jones :

Hello, I see you have accessed and read my answer to your query. Please let me know if this has answered your original question or if you need me to clarify anything else for you in relation to this? I just need to know whether to close the question or not? Thanks

Customer:

Customer:

You answered my question thanks

Ben Jones :

you are welcome, all the best