Max Lowry, Advocate
Experience:  LLB, 10 years post qualification experience
51031577

If I buy a house with a man who was discharged from bankruptcy

If I buy a house with a man who was discharged from bankruptcy in June 2007 can the trustees make a claim on the house?
Expert:  Max Lowry replied 2 years ago.
, welcome to the site. My name is ***** ***** I will help you with your question. In short, the answer is no, the trustee does not have any claim on a property subsequently purchased after discharge.
Once he is discharged the trustee will have no claim on any asset he subsequently purchases. There could be a claim however on assets he owned/had an interest in pre bankruptcy or possibly assets in his possession that may have come into his possession during the bankruptcy but before discharge.
If you are worried however that he may go bankrupt again you could seek to draw up a deed of trust which specifies your respective shares in the property.
I hope this helps. Please let me know if I can clarify anything.