Aston Lawyer
Aston Lawyer, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor LLB (Hons) 23 years of experience in Conveyancing and Property Law
16368554

I own a commercial property,*****. B43 7BP. Which is

Customer Question

I own a commercial property,*****. B43 7BP. Which is a Post Office and has been since 1935. The property is on lease to my tenant on a 15 year term with 10 years left to run. I have just learnt that the post office is to close this March and move into the shop next door.
Can I do anything to prevent this?
David Barker
Expert:  Aston Lawyer replied 2 years ago.
and thanks Just Answer.
My name is ***** ***** am happy to assist you with your enquiry.
Just so I am 100% clear, could you please confirm if your Tenant has asked to terminate his Lease?
Although the Lease is term of 15 years, I take it that there is no break clause allowing the Tenant to end the Lease before the end of the term?
I look forward to hearing from you.
Al
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Al
We have a signed witnessed lease from 10/06/2010. There is no break clause. I know he has to assign the lease . We think he is trying to walk away. What I don't understand is ,what's in this office ltd .?
David,
Thanks reply.
Unless the Tenant already has someone else lined up to take an assignment of your Lease, I really couldn't tell you what the reasoning behind this is.
As I note you are aware, the Tenant is legally bound to pay the rent and any other charges under the Lease whole duration of the Lease. If he wishes to vacate, he will of course need to find a replacement Tenant.
Please let me know if you require any further clarification.
Kind Regards
AL