75100385

I recently had a case of our neighbours dogs attacking our

Customer Question

I recently had a case of our neighbours dogs attacking our sheep and 2 sheep were injured. The neighbours purchased the 2 sheep and took them away and are going to pay the vet bill. Police are involved but wont prosecute. I submitted a bill to them for 7 hours of my time at £25 per hour plus £10 for hay and straw. Their solicitor has advised them not to pay so my question is can I claim for my time and do I have a case for the small claim court ? Many thanks
Alex Watts :

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.

Alex Watts :

How much are you seeking to claim in total?

Alex Watts :

Is £25 based on your current earnings?

JACUSTOMER-jeu2u5ab- :

Claim is £175 for hours and £10 for hay and straw. I guess this is double what you would expect to earn on a farm

Alex Watts :

You need to write and set out your losses and request a refund within 14 days or say you will go to Court within 14 days. You should make sure you send this signed delivery and keep a copy.

Alex Watts :

If they do not refund you then you can issue proceedings in the County Court. You can either do this online at: www.moneyclaim.gov.uk or by completing form N1 http://hmctsformfinder.justice.gov.uk/courtfinder/forms/n001-eng.pdf and take it to your local County Court.

Alex Watts :

The Court will then issue a claim which a copy will be sent to the Defendant who will have a limited time to defend it, if not you can enter Judgment and enforce.

Alex Watts :

If the claim is for £10,000 or less it will be a small claim so you will not need legal representation. Over this value you would need representation for trial.

Alex Watts :

JACUSTOMER-jeu2u5ab- :

Hi, yes sent them an invoice and recieved a letter from their solicitor saying they will defend the claim, they say the claim is without merit and will seek an order to have the claim struck out. So my question is am I able to claim for the hours I have used during and after the dog attack?

Alex Watts :

If it was directly related and you can justify the cost then yes

Alex Watts :

It would be a valid claim

Alex Watts :

Does that help?

JACUSTOMER-jeu2u5ab- :

So is £25 per hour justifiable

Alex Watts :

I can't say whether it is or not, only you can. If that is what you usually earn at work and you spent time doing this then yes

Alex Watts :

Can I clarify anything else for you?

Alex Watts :

If this answers your question could I invite you rate my answer before you leave today.

If the system won’t let you please click reply.

Please bookmark my profile if you wish for future help: http://www.justanswer.co.uk/law/expert-alexwatts/