31090051

the hmrc has fined me heavily over the past 4 years accounts.

Customer Question

the hmrc has fined me heavily over the past 4 years accounts. is this legal. as in common law and the onbill of rights , as this is a forfeiture without convicti
Expert:  JGM replied 2 years ago.
Why have they fined you?
Were the accounts submitted properly and on time?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I was fined on handing in my accounts late and interest added.

I appealed the fines 4 months ago and heard nothing. I suppose what I am getting at is the common law aspect. Is this not a ' forfeiture without a conviction' as in the bill of rights 1689?

I would not be at this point had hmrc been consistent. Many people I have talked to had these fines taken off. Not one penny was taken off mine which is why I am here. Can I appeal this as ' illegal and void' as in the b o rights? If so, how so. Thank you. I know this seems outside usual procedure. But the law is for all.

Expert:  JGM replied 2 years ago.
It's nothing to do with a bill of rights. The tax legislation says that they can fine you if you don't put your accounts in on time. Any appeal procedure is also governed by legislation, not common law or the bill of rights. All the bill of rights says is that taxes can't be levied without the authority of parliament. Parliament has given authority for people to be fined when they don't lodge their accounts in time by virtue of the tax legislation. Happy to discuss further.