12826847

I brought a vehicle from a dealership in October 2014.

I brought a vehicle from a dealership in October 2014. I took my car into a main dealer yesterday for a service and they have flagged up and shown me evidence that the mileage that was declared on the car when I brought it was inaccurate and appears to have been reduced. I have contacted trading standards who have advised me to write to the dealer including all the evidence I have and inform them that I want a full refund for the vehicle including the costs of works recently carried out on the vehicle. They advised to give the dealer 7 days to repsond to my request.
My question for you is should I write to the dealer as instructed by trading standards or am I better to contact a solicitor? I it too early to involve a solicitor at this stage or am I likely to have better success?
It is generally better to get a solicitor to write letters before action. They carry much more weight. However, there is a cost in that and the question is whether you want to incur the cost. It is a matter of balancing cost against gain.
Obviously some claims are so small that it is cheaper to issue than to get a solicitor to send letters. This is probably at the higher end of actions so it might be worthwhile.