UKSolicitorJA
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
62162956

I lent a friend pounds with witten proof that

I lent a friend for thousand pounds with witten proof that it be paid back in twelve months. Three years on and it had not been paid so I was given a box of jewellery to cover this loan. My friend died two weeks ago and I have just had a letter from a Solicitor asking would I kindly get in touch with the amount owed and return any assets I hold. I do not know what to do as this friend died owing considerable money everywhere which I did not know. I have no idea the value of the jewellery its looks to me as not having any worth .. The daughter knows I have this box but I have no idea what could have been taken out before it was handed to me x any help I would appreciate thank you
Expert:  UKSolicitorJA replied 2 years ago.
What would you like ? To keep the box or give it back and ask for your loan to be paid back?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Just want to do the right thing but the liquidators were already dealing with well over twenty thousand pounds of debt and there is no money available
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
UKSolicitorJA only
Just to do the right thing and I would like to get some if not all of my money back
If there is no money available to pay you, then you should write back to the solicitors and inform them that you were given the box in settlement of your loan by the deceased and that you are under no obligation to return it to the estate.
Hope this helps