I have recently booked a wedding venue and paid a deposit

I have recently booked a wedding venue and paid a deposit of £2.5k at a venue which stated the place would be exclusively ours for the weekend and it had no restrictions on the property. 4 months later it turns out there are restrictions and there is a cap on how many people can attend the reception party. They have capped it at 200 people which are to include the staff & the band members. When we have invited 250 guests to our reception. We have now had to find another venue, as we have guest flying in from over seas and the owner has not been willing to accommodate our needs and is refusing to give our deposit back. Is there any legal action I can take. Please help. Kind Regards
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
Alex Watts : Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this
Alex Watts : Did they confirm in writing no restrictions please ?

This is the email I was provided with the booking.

I was sent this email from the owner just before I decided to make the booking. Hi Libi,

Many thanks for your email.

Our price of £5490 includes 3 nights accommodation at Beaconside Country House and Cottages. The estate becomes yours for the whole weekend and is

completely private and exclusive with no restrictions.

It includes accommodation for between 40 -50 family and friends with use of all our facilities as featured on our website including indoor and outdoor pools , hot tubs etc, for

the entire weekend.

You can be married in our lovely wedding gazebo within our walled garden or in Beaconside House .

We also have a silk lined marquee to hire if required. It seats up to 150 guests comfortably and includes wooden flooring and all tables and chairs etc. The price for hire is just £1850.

I would be more than happy to show you around Beaconside at a time convenient to you.

I am pleased to advise that the weekend of Friday 15th May 2015 is currently available.

Please feel free to ring or email if you require any further details.

With kind regards
01237 475118

Can you let me know when you will be able to give me an answer on this?

Alex Watts :

You need to write and set out your losses and request a refund within 14 days or say you will go to Court within 14 days. You should make sure you send this signed delivery and keep a copy.

If they do not refund you then you can issue proceedings in the County Court. You can either do this online at: or by completing form N1 and take it to your local County Court.

The Court will then issue a claim which a copy will be sent to the Defendant who will have a limited time to defend it, if not you can enter Judgment and enforce.

If the claim is for £10,000 or less it will be a small claim so you will not need legal representation. Over this value you would need representation for trial.

Ok great thank you. Do you think I am entitled to my money back, if I do go to court? And also can I send this demand to him via email?

Are you able to write out a template letter for me, that I can copy and paste and forward on to the venue manager?

Alex Watts :

I think you are entitled to your money back.

Alex Watts :

Sadly I can' do the letter for you - its against site rules

Alex Watts :

Does that help?

Are you able to act as my solicitor? So I can refer to you as my solicitor in correspondence to the venue manager?

Alex Watts : Sadly not, against site rules.
Alex Watts : can I clairfy anything for you about this today please?
Experience: Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi there

Since last speaking with you regarding this problem. I have not sent a request to the court yet as we received a dated and signed letter by the vendor. Stating that he stood by what he said, we would only be refunded our money if he rebooks the property for the same value. That we could fiercely defend himself in a court of law and that he would claim for loss's for the entire cost of the initial hire of his venue. So £7995 he will claim for. I fairly sure he's off his rocker if he thinks he can claim for that. But before I apply through the courts as you have suggested up there.

I just wanted to run this by you, it looks like on his website in one section, since this has happened, he has edited the page and put in a statement about only being able to take 180 guests.

He also got back to me, trying to say I had confirmed I was only having 150 guests.

I did say in one email 'That we were thinking possibly 150 guests'. But that was just in response to hiring his onsite Marquee, where he had said this could comfortably seat 150 guests for the meal.

So this was just in relation to guests invited for the entire wedding, not for the extra evening guests I wanted to invite to the reception after the meal.

Has he got any leg to stand on. Just want to double check with you?