31090051

my wife went to stoneacres of rotherham to purchase a car she

Customer Question

my wife went to stoneacres of rotherham to purchase a car she is 69 years old she was going to buy it cash but the card she used would not activate so she used a credit card and the store took £290 off it when she went to the bank to get the other £7000 the bank said the reason was the money was locked in for another year so we went back to the garage and explained we could not now buy the car and asked for our £290 to be refunded and they refused saying that it was a binding contract by law and that they could now force us to purchase the car
Expert:  JGM replied 2 years ago.
A contract needs an offer and an acceptance. The car was offered to your wife for sale. Did your wife agree to buy the car?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

My wife gave her a card which was put in the machine where it was refused so she said she would have to go back to the bank to see what had happened and she then gave her the other credit card to put the other £290 on it the car was £7290 I tried to explain that unless she could get the £7000 from the bank she could not buy the car and they took the £290 now they will not refund the money

Expert:  JGM replied 2 years ago.
I think by that stage your wife had already agreed to buy the car. After all she had tried, albeit unsuccessfully, to pay for it so she must have accepted the contract. I don't think she can back out and I'm afraid to say that the garage is correct on this occasion. You can't back out of a contract just because you don't want to go ahead.