Jenny
Jenny, Solicitor
Experience:  Qualified Solicitor specialising in Employment Law and general legal matters. Please start your question For Jenny Only
32019188

I am writing in behalf of my brother in law short version

Customer Question

Hi I am writing in behalf of my brother in law short version is that he has been called in a office that someone accused him stealing meat (he is head chef in a restaurant)that was on Tuesday ,he had 2 days off and when he was back to work on Friday he was told by 2 coworkers that he was sent a letter home that is been suspended for two weeks because of someone allegations the letter didn't arrived in time for him to know so he was a bit upset The letter is been issued by an assistant manager which se is not very found of romanian (my brother in law is Romanian)is any advice what you can give me and if so far are any breach of the law Thanks
Expert:  Jenny replied 2 years ago.
Customer:

Hello my name is ***** ***** I am happy to help you today. How long has your brother in law worked there for?

JACUSTOMER-aecrpg0e- : 11-12years
Customer:

Does he think he is being treated like this because of his nationality?

JACUSTOMER-aecrpg0e- : Not sure what to thing because she did make sone not very nice comments about Romanian but she been to their wedding in Romania and as well spend Christmas around their house but the bigger problem is that my sister she is pregnant and the way the situation it has been handled it put a lot of pressure on her
Customer:

Ok thanks, ***** ***** employer is not in breach of the law by suspending an employee who they think may have been stealing meat in the event that an allegation has been made by another employee. In those circumstances the employer may suspend the employee pending an investigation into the allegation. Any investigation should be done as quickly as possible and should involve interviewing your brother in law. If after the investigation the employer still believes that your brother in law may have done this then he can be invited to a disciplinary meeting to discuss the allegation. If the employer has 'reasonable belief' that he has been stealing then the employer is entitled to dismiss with immediate effect.

Customer:

If your brother in law thinks that he has been framed or treated in a discriminatory manner by the employer then he may raise a grievance during the course of the disciplinary process. The employer must hear the grievance.

Customer:

If you have any further specific questions about this please do ask. If I have answered your question I would be grateful if you would take the time to rate my answer. Thank you and all the bes.t