Alex J.
Alex J., Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitors 2 years plus PQE
13113900

My contract has a notice period. What happens if I do not want

Customer Question

My contract has a notice period. What happens if I do not want to fulfill it completely? Any exposure?
Expert:  Alex J. replied 2 years ago.
Alex J. : Hi Thank you for your question and welcome. My name is ***** ***** I will assist you.
Alex J. : You do not have to work your notice period on the basis that you cannot be forced to work. However if you do not work your notice period;
Alex J. : 1. You probably won't be paid for that period;
Alex J. : 2. You will be in breach of contract. In theory they may have a claim against you for breach but if you can be easily replaced they are unlikely to suffer any loss so a claim in that circumstance may be unlikely;
Alex J. : 3. You may struggle to get a reference out of them.
Alex J. : Is there a specific reason why you cannot work your notice?
JACUSTOMER-qwor2in2- :

Thanks for the color.

JACUSTOMER-qwor2in2- :

The reason is simple: have lost confidence in the company's ability to handle the current situation. The communications aiming to add context for an educated decision have failed. Ergo prefer to step aside.

Alex J. :

Hi, Thank you. Have you tried to negotiate an exit?

Alex J. :

If you give the reasons for your resignation they may not pursue you on the basis that might be fearful that you have a constructive dismissal claim against them if you have lost confidence in their ability to provide you with a suitable working environment