UKSolicitorJA
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
62162956

I am a Croatian national applying NI number as I live

Customer Question

I am a Croatian national applying for an NI number as I live and work self-employed in the UK. My application for an NI number has been refused but the person from the JobCentre whom I spoke to refuses to tell me which document(s) I have not correctly supplied, even though I have asked for this information. I think this is very unfair as I cannot open a bank acount or apply for a provisional driving licence without an NI number. Please can you advise?
Expert:  UKSolicitorJA replied 2 years ago.
The most common reason that I am aware of for refusals for Croatian nationals is the failure to show that you have the right to work in the UK. As a self employed person, you are entitled to work in the UK and I would advise you to apply first for a yellow registration certificate from the Home Office.
See here how to do so:
https://www.gov.uk/croatian-national/yellow-registration-certificate
Once you have the yellow certificate, you should reapply for the NI Number with proof that you are sled employed e.g. Bank statements, invoices, contracts etc.
All the best