12826847

I arrived in Ireland on July 22 via a car ferry, returning

I arrived in Ireland on July 22 via a car ferry, returning on the 25th; I saw no signs for a toll in either direction. I received a letter from EPC in October demanding payment for £69.08 !!!. I sent a cheque for £5.16 on Oct 19th protesting about the excessive charges, whose details had not been sent before. I received on Feb 7th a letter dated 17.01 15 a letter headed Letter Before Debt Collection Reference 23050-7570915 and requiring £74.08 be sent. i am a lawe abiding pensioner. I regard all this as very sharp practice which damages Irish tourism can you advise a course of action? kind regards ***** *****

I am not sure I can really give you good news.
You are trying to apply the rules of contract to an entirely different dispute. I imagine that £5.16 is designed to reflect their loss. That relates to breach of contract.
This is a toll imposed by the State which they are allowed to do. You might not be happy about it and I might agree with you but that is not a defence. Fines for breaching tolls, parking contraventions, speeding matters etc are designed to punish. That is what the state does and what it is allowed to do.
In terms of debt collection, these are enforceable Im afraid so should be paid. There is an appeal route but you are out of time and also do not really seem to be raising grounds of appeal here.
I'm very sorry but I have to give you truthful information.