Aston Lawyer
Aston Lawyer, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor LLB (Hons) 23 years of experience in Conveyancing and Property Law
16368554

The firm of solicitors (LHP Law Bath) who dealt with the purchase

The firm of solicitors (LHP Law Bath) who dealt with the purchase of my house have closed down. The deeds of my house are still there. I would like them back. I have not been contacted about it though the closure may have been recent. I note from the internet the LHP Law office in Bristol has also closed. Would you suggest what to do in the circumstances. Thank you. Fenella Clarke, Bath.
Expert:  Aston Lawyer replied 2 years ago.

Hello and thanks for using Just Answer.

My name is ***** ***** am happy to assist you with your enquiry.

Could I ask when you purchased your property?

I take it that no other legal firm has written to you to say they have taken over from LHP and hold your Deeds?

I will look into matters now for you, but after a quick search it appears LHP closed in 2011.

Kind Regards

Al

Thanks for your reply (you have posted it as a new question, so I will reply to your ori

inal question).

Well, as you did purchase in 2007, your Deeds will be stored electronically at the Land Registry. This means that as and when you come to sell, your Solicitor need only to apply to the Land Registry website for copies, and these will be sufficient for any Buyers Solicitor.

Therefore, your "original Deeds" ar enow redundant, and you won't need them as evidence that you own the property. You therefore have nothing to worry about.

Likewise, if you wish, you can apply to the Land Registry for copies of your Deeds for a nominal fee, if you would like.

Unfortunately, although I have found that Bath Law took over LHP, it now appears they are no longer trading and I can't find which firm may now have your Deeds. I would, however , ave certainly hoped that if you phoned a Bath law firm who specialises in Conveyancing, they would know who is likley to have your Deeds.

I hope this assists you.

Kind Regards

Al