12826847

A 16 year old signed a contract to play football every week.. The

Customer Question

A 16 year old signed a contract to play football every week..
The contract states that you have to be 18..
His team of mates cant get to the pitch as its over 20 miles away..
The person who is in charge wanted £150 because the boys didnt show up after the 1st game...this went up to £750 demand...
There was no adult guarantor.
Please can you advise
It says you have to be 18 to do what?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

to take a team of himself and mates to play football against another team on a football pitch at newtown wales...

he ignored the age on the contract because he didnt think that would matter....

Generally speaking a contract is enforceably by a person under the age of 18 but not against him. That is why normally contracts demand an adult guarantor.
What can happen though, in principle, is that a person who discovers that he has been mislead by a person under the age of 18 can make a complaint to the police of fraud. I have to say that I haven't seen it happen for some time. It used to be quite common with mobile phone contracts when the companies did not ask for adult guarantees so they could not enforce their contracts despite having given phones to these youths.
I'm not quite clear what the raise of over £600 is about here anyway. That doesn't seem to bear any resemblance to the contractual agreement.
Similarly I'm not sure what the loss is. I suppose I haven't seen the contract. Unless he has caused a loss to any person or a gain to himself fraud would not be made out.