12826847

. My partner and I are accused of sending an anoymous letter

Hi. My partner and I are accused of sending an anoymous letter informing of benefit fraud being commited. This is untrue. How can we prove our innocence? As we are both very upset by these false rumours.
You cannot prove a negative. It is completely impossible. Nobody is capable of doing that.
It depends who is making this allegation. If it is the police or the DWP then they have to prove that you did this rather than the other way around. The ways they may do that is to compare your handwriting with that upon the letter. Alternatively a fingerprint assessment of the papers. Another way may be to analyse the saliva on the sealing glue of the envelope.
If it is just a random allegation by the person under scrutiny then there is no way of disproving that but then there is no action they can take against you as they would have to prove it.